CLASSIC WESTERN TROUT FISHING WITH A CANADIAN TWIST
Join Nomada Fly Fish as we travel to Alberta, Canada, to pound the banks of the Bow River with hoppers and streamers in search of trophy-sized browns and rainbows.
The Bow might be the West’s best-kept secret, as it harbors an estimated 3,000 trout—averaging 16 inches—per mile yet remains less pressured than any of its US regional counterparts. Easily accessible from anywhere in the US via the Calgary International Airport, this unique fishery provides several daily float options with five distinct beats. You can fish the Bow through the heart of downtown Calgary or its sprawling grassland prairie setting downstream that will make you forget you’re minutes from a metropolitan area. This means you’re unlikely to fish the same water twice on the same trip.
Our guides are first-rate, thanks to the friendly and knowledgeable folks at Dave Brown Outfitters. Our Delta by Marriott hotel accommodations are comfortable and convenient with their onsite restaurant and bar. There’s also a fly shop and multiple restaurants ranging from fast casual to fine dining within a short walk from our stay.
Our days begin when the guides pick us up at the hotel. We’ll typically stop somewhere to grab a quick bite for breakfast on the way to the water. Fishing will primarily be from a drift boat, but there are also opportunities to wade. Angling techniques range from tossing top-water terrestrials, streamers on weighted lines, and the occasional drift with an indicator nymphing rig. Lunch is provided on the water. Upon returning to the hotel, we can make our evening dinner plans.
If you’re searching for a top-notch western trout trip that’s a great value, join us on the Bow River!
- 4 Nights at Delta Hotels Calgary South by Marriott
- 3 Days Guided Drift Boat Fishing with Dave Brown Outfitters
- Lunches provided on the water
- All Taxes & Fees
- Note: the price is per angler/guest based on double occupancy; 2 anglers/guests per room. Single angler and/or individual room options may be available; contact the trip host for details
- All flies provided
- Rods available for guest use
- Transportation to Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Ground transportation from the airport to the hotel
- Alberta fishing license
- Meals besides lunches on fishing days
- Standard gratuity for guides
WHAT TO BRING:
- 5 to 7-weight fly rods
- Floating fly line
- Fast sink tip line (optional)
- Wading shoes
- Rain jacket
- Polarized sunglasses
- Classic western tail-water in an upland prairie and urban metropolitan settings
- Trophy-size rainbow and brown trout
- Primarily drift boat fishing with several opportunities to wade outside the boat
DELTA HOTELS CALGARY SOUTH BY MARRIOTT:
Clean, comfortable, and conveniently located near South Calgary’s shopping and entertainment district, Delta Hotels South features two indoor pools with a 131-foot water slide and a 24-hour fitness facility.
Each room has cable television, a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffee machine, a spacious work desk, and a seating area. The private bathroom includes a hairdryer and free toiletries. Free WiFi is also available.